Visa, work permits Q&A. Part III - RUSSOFT

Supported by:

Visa, work permits Q&A. Part III

I'm going to Russia soon by multi-entry visa for one year together with my wife and son.

By Jon Hellivig, The Russia Journal
Aug 22, 2003
I'm going to Russia soon by multi-entry visa for one year together with my wife and son. My son is only two years old, and I don't think that my son will need a visa, as he is so small and he is going to Russia with his parents. But I've heard that do I need to order separate visa for him. Is it that true?

Russian regulations forbid including children into multi-entry visas. A multi-entry visa can be issued for a child if he or she has a separate passport. In that case, the routine for the child is the same as for an adult.

I bought an invitation for a multi-entry visa for one year to Russia from some man near the Russian consulate in my country. He explained that there was no need for me to look for any company in Russia that could issue an invitation for me, because he had plenty of such invitations from some Russian company with him and, according to him, all of them were absolutely legal. I bought the invitation and received a multi-entry visa for one year. I came to Russia and wanted to register my visa with OVIR, but I couldn't find the company that "invited" me, and, according to the state authorities, this company was liquidated some time ago. According to the authorities, I must go back to my country and pay a penalty. Are they right?

Yes, they are absolutely right. You should register your visa within three days from the moment of arrival to Russia. The company that invited you is liable for that registration. If you fail to register your visa within the aforesaid period, your visa can be canceled, and you will have to leave Russia and pay the penalty. Please note that, if you do not leave Russia, you will be included in the so-called "black list," and you will not be permitted to come to Russia for one year. Please never order a visa through a company that cannot provide the proper registration.

Are there any restrictions for a foreigner working in Russia?

Yes, the law stipulates such restrictions. For instance, a foreign citizen has no right:
  • to be employed by the state or the municipal service;
  • to be a member of the crew of a ship sailing under the state flag of the Russian Federation, in conformity with the restrictions envisaged by the Merchant Seafaring Code of the Russian Federation;
  • to be a member of the crew of a military air vessel of the Russian Federation or of another vessel operated for non-commercial purposes, as well as of a flying apparatus of the state or experimental aviation;
  • to be enrolled for a job in entities the activity of which is involved in providing for the security of the Russian Federation. (The list of such entities is approved by the government of the Russian Federation);
  • to be the captain of a civil aircraft.
Jon Hellevig is a partner with consulting firm Avenir & Partners, specializing in law, accounting and human resources. The second edition of the "Avenir Guide to Russian Taxes," of which he is a co-author, is due out soon.